APPLICATION FOR ELECTION TO THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS, 2021-2023
The SAPHA Board of Directors 2021-23 Application form can be found here. The deadline to apply is February 12th, 2021 at 11:59 pm PST.
We welcome applications from all individuals who are dedicated to advancing SAPHA’s mission
About SAPHA: SAPHA is a volunteer-run organization and cannot function without the dedication of its Board members, each of whom is expected to exemplify the best of SAPHA. The Board is a dynamic and hardworking team of professionals from across the United States. We seek to elect diverse, passionate, and dedicated Board members who represent a variety of interests and backgrounds applicable to public health in areas such as health disparities, mental health, clinical care, health promotion, and disease control and prevention activities. Candidates are expected to have a strong commitment to the health and well-being of South Asians and the communities in which they live, as well as strong leadership qualities to help realize and further SAPHA’s mission through collaboration with other Board members and mentorship of SAPHA members. Serving on the SAPHA Board of Directors is a time-intensive yet rewarding public service endeavor, and we invite you to join our efforts!
Open Positions: For the 2021-23 term, we are seeking applicants who can support advocacy, fundraising, or partnership efforts. While experience in these areas would be valuable, we encourage all candidates with interest to apply. There will also be opportunities to collaborate across Committees in other areas relevant to SAPHA’s mission. For an explanation of Committees, click here.
Requirements: SAPHA Board Members commit to spending approximately 10 hours per month for SAPHA activities and agree to:
- Serve a two-year term beginning in March 2021. Newly elected Board members should plan to participate in the 2021 SAPHA Board Retreat remotely or in-person. Additionally, a Board transition call and orientation will occur in March 2021, which all new Board members are required to attend;
- Contribute financially through annual Board membership dues ($200/year) prior to the first Board meeting of each calendar year;
- Participate actively in monthly Board meetings/conference calls;
- Be actively involved in at least one SAPHA Committee;
- Strategize SAPHA goals and objectives and support the development and maintenance of SAPHA initiatives, policies, and procedures;
- Support the business affairs of SAPHA;
- Participate in organizational fundraising and awareness-building efforts;
- Complete assigned work between meetings in a timely and reliable manner;
- Participate either in-person or remotely for a mid-year retreat each year (usually held at the same time and place as the annual American Public Health Association conference; in 2020, the retreat was held remotely over two days over a weekend), with the understanding that SAPHA Board members do not receive financial compensation for their services and activities related to SAPHA, although costs expended for SAPHA purposes may be eligible for reimbursement if prior approval is obtained;
- Assist on various projects as necessary, including the review, editing, and approval of SAPHA materials prior to dissemination to the public;
- Promote the work of SAPHA through professional and responsible representation of SAPHA and the Board.
The benefits of a Board membership include the opportunity to serve the public health needs of South Asians in the United States alongside passionate colleagues dedicated to SAPHA’s mission.
- Please complete the SAPHA Board of Directors 2021-23 Application form by 11:59 pm PST Friday, February 12th, 2021
- Interviews will take place February 15th–February 26th, 2021 at a time mutually convenient for the applicant and interviewer (who will be a current Board member)
- Notifications will take place during the second week of March 2021
- If you have any questions or accommodation needs in completing this application, please contact us